Mountains, Wetlands, Forests, etc.
Miles Mountain, at 2,690 feet, is the only mountain in Concord over 2,000 feet. Other lower elevations are Goudreault Hill and Shaw Mountain.
In 1864 copper was discovered, but the industry did not last long. In 1865 there were 20 men employed. Farming was the first use of the land, then granite and lumber became important to the economy of the town. On October 1, 1930, President Hoover pushed a button in Washington, DC and 700 miles away in northern Vermont and New Hampshire the waterwheels starting turning at New England's largest single hydroelectric development. The charter for development was from International Paper to the New England Power Association in 1926. This project was part of the national trend for large hydroelectric development and, at the time, was the fourth largest in the country. Electricity was sent 126 miles to a substation in Tewksbury, Massachusetts for distribution to eastern Massachusetts and Rhode Island. The first dam was the Comerford Dam (15 Mile Dam) in Barnet; then a smaller dam was built in McIndoe Falls, and finally, the Moore Dam in Waterford. As a result of the Moore Dam, the Moore Reservoir was formed, and changed Concord's river boundary into a lakeshore. The Reservoir flooded much of the land first settled in the beginning years of Concord.
Fires destroyed the following businesses between 1850 and 1896: pail factory and foundry, a woolen mill and foundry, Town Hall, dressing mill, the Grout sawmill, and the Dudley sawmill. 1861 - Hailstorm ruined crops, killed fruit trees, injured cattle and damaged buildings. 1890 - Tornado produced 2 inches of rain in 15 minutes resulting in severe damage to hay crops, buildings and more than 1000 trees uprooted. 1897 - Heavy rain caused a mud dam to give way which destroyed several buildings 1912 - Fire destroyed the West Concord House on Main Street. Levi Howe had built the Hotel in 1844. 1913 - spring runoff and rain took out dam at the east end of the village, which had been rebuilt after the 1897 flood. 1927 - Flood damaged bridges, roads and the railroad 1931 - Noble's Dance Hall on Victory Road was destroyed by fire. 1938 - Tornado uprooted trees. 1946 - The Judevine Memorial School burned on November 30th. High School classes for the remainder of the academic year were held at the Masonic Temple, as well as in the Town Hall and the Library. The Elementary students went to the East Concord School for a few months then the first three grades moved to the Cutting Building in the village. A new school was built and ready for classes in the fall of 1947. 1958 - Union (Scott's) Block, which included a store, the telephone office, Dr. Dickson's office, the school superintendent's office and several apartments, were destroyed by fire. 1959 - Fire destroyed the combination post office and Copp's General Store. The fire started from sparks of a brush fire started by nearby road construction. The Copps rebuilt their store.
1996 - Lightening hit a woodworking shop and totally destroyed the business. The shop reestablished itself in the former town garage building. 1/15/97 - One of the oldest houses in Miles Pond burned.
Public Access Areas
Concord has two State Fishing Access Areas, one at Miles Pond and the other at Shadow Lake. There is also an access on Moore Reservoir, just over the line in Waterford.
Other Natural Resources
The University of Vermont owns 100 acres of hardwood forest, which as been designated as a Natural Area, on the top of Miles Mountain. While UVM's land remains untouched, the rest of the mountain has been lumbered. Concord attracts hikers, fly-fishermen and mountain bikers, especially in the fall to view the foliage.
Note: This series is available courtesy of the Center For Rural Studies, a nonprofit, fee-for-service research organization which addresses social, economic, and resource-based problems of rural people and communities. We would like to thank them for the use of this information and would like to refer you to firstname.lastname@example.org for additional info or comments.